You know how much my kids love a good bake off... Sometimes I honestly cannot be bothered making certain things because I don’t have the patience to wait for the yeast to rise. Or the cake to bake and cool.
One of my childhood favourites and my go to recipe would have to be my tradition Italian Ricotta Zeppole! There is no yeast, no wait time, and you can eat them as soon as they come out of the oil and are rolled into the sugar! Doesn’t get much better than that, does it?
What are Italian Ricotta Zeppole? Zeppole are also known by as Sfinge. Essentially, they are a deep-fried Italian doughnut. They are so incredibly light, they’re sweet and crunchy on the outside and pillowy soft on the inside.
They are so simple to make. You just put everything into a bowl and mix away, and fry until golden brown. This is a great one to do with the kids because you cannot get it wrong. The more rustic the shape of the donut, the better the texture!
The only problem is, once you start, you can not stop!
1.5 CUPS PLAIN FLOUR
2 CUPS FRESH RICOTTA (BEST TO USE RICOTTA FROM THE DELI)
4 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
6 TABLESPOONS CASTER SUGAR
1L NEUTRAL OIL (VEGETABLE/CANOLA/ RICE BRAN)
1 CUP CASTER SUGAR
1. IN A BOWL, OR IN A STAND MIXER, ADD IN EGGS AND RICOTTA AND MIX UNTIL SMOOTH.
2. ADD IN SUGAR, BAKING POWDER AND SALT AND MIX AGAIN.
3. ADD IN THE FLOUR AND MIX ONE LAST TIME.
4. ADD SUGAR INTO A BOWL AND SET ASIDE
5. IN A MEDIUM SIZE POT, ADD IN OIL. PLACE ON A MEDIUM/HIGH HEAT AND WAIT FOR OIL TO GET HOT.
6. ADD IN A SMALL SCOOP OF THE BATTER TO TEST THE OIL. IF IT SINKS TO THE BOTTOM, THE OIL IS STILL TO COLD. YOU WANT THE BATTER TO BUBBLE INSTANTLY AND FLOAT TO THE TOP.
7. WITH A TABLE SPOON SCOOP IN MIXTURE STRAIGHT INTO THE OIL. I LIKE TO COOK ABOUT 5-6 AT A TIME, TO ENSURE WE ARE NOT OVERCROWDING THE POT. YOU WILL WANT TO COOK THE ZEPPOLE FOR A FEW MINUTES UNTIL GOLDEN.
8. ONCE GOLDEN, STRAIN AND PLACE STRAIGHT INTO THE SUGAR AND COAT WELL.
IF YOUR ZEPPOLE ARE NICE AND GOLDEN, BUT ARE STILL RAW INSIDE, YOUR HEAT IS TO HIGH.
TURN YOUR HEAT DOWN TO MEDIUM.
If you have any questions or would like to share your feedback, comment below and I'll get back to you personally.
I always love seeing your recreations, so don't forget to tag me on Instagram @cookingwithalisha.
If you like this recipe, then you're going to love what I have for you in SIMPLY ALISHA.
Your weekly meals... DONE!
SIMPLY ALISHA is an exclusive cooking membership offering step by step meals from me straight to you!
Every week, you'll receive:
A brand-new meal plan;
New recipes; and
A shopping list to go with it!
I teach you to cook comforting, delicious meals that won't break the bank!