This one is for all my chocolate lovers.
These super rich individual chocolate lava cakes, with oozing chocolate centres took about 5 minutes of prep work, 12 minutes of cooking, and 3.5 seconds of eating it!
They are the perfect little dish to serve to those unexpected guests, or the perfect dessert for a little date night! I know you probably think they are complicated and intimidating to make but let me reassure you how simple and easy they really are. You honestly cannot mess these up, providing you don’t overcook them!
What makes the inside of the lava cake ooze? Well... The inside of the lava cake is just the batter of the cake that hasn’t fully set. It’s the very little flour that we add to the cake mix that gives the cake a rich a creamy texture. It is a decadent dessert that will melt on your plate and in your mouth!
I love to serve mine with some vanilla bean ice-cream, and some fresh berries!
CHOCOLATE LAVA CAKE
60 GRAMS PLAIN FLOUR
100 GRAMS DARK CHOCOLATE
100 GRAMS BUTTER
1 TABLESPOON COCOA + EXTRA FOR DUSTING
2 TABLESPOONS OF MILK
80 GRAMS CASTER SUGAR
40 GRAMS BROWN SUGAR
4 OVEN SAFE RAMEKINS
1. PRE HEAT YOUR OVEN TO 200 DEGREES AND PLACE A BAKING TRAY IN THE OVEN TO HEAT UP.
2. EITHER ON THE STOVE, OR IN A MICROWAVE, MELT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE TOGETHER. IF YOU ARE MELTING IT IN THE MICROWAVE, ADD THE CHOCOLATE AND BUTTER TOGETHER AND COOK FOR 30 SECOND BURST UNTIL COMPLETELY MELTED AND COMBINED. THIS WILL STOP THE CHOCOLATE FROM BURNING.
3. USING A HAND MIXER OR A STAND MIXER, PLACE EGGS, CASTER SUGAR AND BROWN SUGAR IN A BOWL AND WHISK UNTIL PALE IN COLOUR. THIS SHOULD TAKE ABOUT 3-4 MINUTES.
4. POUR IN THE MELTED CHOCOLATE AND BUTTER, COCOA AND MILK TO THE EGG MIXTURE AND COMBINE WELL.
5. ADD IN THE FLOUR AND FOLD IN GENTLY WITH A SPATULA.
6. SPRAY YOUR RAMEKINS WITH CANOLA SPRAY, AND DUST GENEROUSLY WITH COCOA. THIS WILL HELP MAKE THE CAKE POP OUT OF THE RAMEKIN, AND NOT STICK.
7. FILL EACH RAMEKIN WITH THE MIXTURE. YOU WANT TO FILL THE MIXTURE JUST OVER HALF WAY. DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP AS THEY WILL OVERFLOW.
8. PLACE YOUR RAMEKINS ON THE PREHEATED BAKING TRY AND COOK FOR 12 MINUTES.
9. AFTER 12 MINUTES, THE CAKE SHOULD LOOK COOKED, BUT SHOULD HAVE A SLIGHT WOBBLE IN THE CENTRE. THEY SHOULD BOUNCE BACK WHEN YOU TOUCH THE TOP.
10. FLIP THE RAMEKIN OVER INTO A BOWL, AND THEY SHOULD EASILY POP OUT.
11. SERVE IMMEDIATELY WITH ICE CREAM AND FRESH BERRIES.