One of my go to meals would have to be my quick sticky salmon. It is quick, it is easy, and it is so tasty! The combination of fresh ginger, fresh garlic and that sweet sticky chilli sauce, makes my mouth water instantly.
If you are worried about the spiciness from the chilli sauce, I can assure you that the spicy level is quite low. My one-year old son, and 5 and 6-year-old kids can definitely handle the heat. So, I would confidently say it’s a safe one for the family!
You can easily make the marinade the day before, or well and truly in advance, so that when it comes time to prepare dinner, all you need to do is the bare minimum of frying off the fish!
If you are not a salmon lover, you can easily switch the salmon to some chicken tenderloin, or if you are wanting the same effect of the crispy salmon skin, you can always use a chicken thigh with the skin on. The sauce in its self is so tasty, you will literally be licking the bowl clean.
I promise, even though it is so simple, it is full of flavour!
I like to serve mine with some steamed rice, to absorb all that beautiful sauce, and some fresh seasonal steamed greens!
QUICK STICKY SALMON
4 PIECES OF SALMON
1 CUP SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
2 TABLESPOONS OF WHOLEGRAIN MUSTARD
5 GARLICS CRUSHED
2CM KNOB OF GINGER GRATED
¼ CUP WATER
SALT AND PEPPER
3 TABLESPOONS OLIVE OIL
1. SEASON SALMON WITH SALT AND PEPPER.
2. IN A MEDIUM BOWL, ADD IN, SWEET CHILLI SAUCE, WHOLEGRAIN MUSTARD, GINGER AND GARLIC. COMBINED WELL AND SET ASIDE.
3. IN A FRY PAN ON A HIGH HEAT, ADD IN 3 TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE IN, AND PLACE SALMON IN SKIN SIDE DOWN. COOK FOR 5 MINS, UNTIL THE SKIN HAS TURNED GOLDEN AND CRISPY. ONCE CRISPY, TAKE SALMON OUT AND SET ASIDE. (TO AVOID OVER COOKING THE SALMON, DO NOT FLIP THE FISH. WE ONLY WANT TO COOK THE SKIN SIDE.)
4. IN THE SAME FRY PAN, POUR IN SWEET CHILLI SAUCE. COOK FOR 2 MINUTES, UNTIL THE SAUCE HAS STARTED TO THICKEN UP. PLACE SALMON BACK INTO THE SAUCE, SKIN SIDE UP, AND ADD IN ¼ CUP WATER, COOK FOR A FURTHER 5 MINUTES. COAT SALMON IN STICKY SAUCE.
5. SERVE WITH STEAMED RICE, AND BROCCOLINI.